Bad breath is a common problem faced by any individual. It makes us feel socially awkward if we are sporting a bad breath. It is also an indication of bad health, mainly a problematic digestive system, tonsil infection, and germs build up in the mouth. It also occurs from the consumption of certain food items like garlic, onions. If you are in the habit of smoking a lot then too you will be having a bad breath.
There are various home remedies that can be used to combat this problem. A common one is the use of baking soda. The various ways in which baking soda can be used has been mentioned here.
Does Baking Soda Work for Bad Breath?
If you are in a worried as to whether baking powder can do any good in combating your bad breath then you must read through the following reasons as to why you must use baking soda to combat bad breath
- Baking soda is alkaline in nature. The bad breath in the mouth is caused by the increase in the acid levels in the mouth. Baking soda helps to combat this problem
- It is antibacterial in nature. Baking soda kills the bacteria thriving in the mouth that causes bad breath. These bacteria tend to thrive in an acidic environment. Baking soda stops the growth of these bacteria.
- Most importantly it spares the teeth and gums from facing any kind of harm. As it is basic in nature, the teeth and gums are not corroded.
How to Use Baking Soda for Bad Breath:
1. Baking Soda and Lemon for Bad Breath:
- 2 teaspoons of baking sodas
- I teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 glass of warm water
- In a glass pour the baking soda
- Add the lemon juice
- Stir it well
- Add the warm water
- Gargle with this mixture till all water is used.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times a day for best results
Benefit: The citric acid of lemon reacts with baking soda to relieve the mouth of bad breath.
2. Baking Soda and Peroxide for Bad Breath:
- ½ tablespoon of baking soda
- 1½ tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 cup of water
- Put all the ingredients into the water
- Rinse your mouth with this mixture
- Continue till all water is consumed
- Repeat every alternate day till bad breath is reduced
Benefit: Hydrogen peroxide is an antimicrobial agent that fights the bacteria causing bad breath.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda for Bad Breath:
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- A glass of warm water
- Pour all the ingredients into the glass of warm water
- Gargle with this mixture till all water is used
- Repeat this method 2 to 3 times a day
Benefit: Apple Cider Vinegar is a pH neutralizing agent which fights the bad breath.